What prove the best ways to prolong facial filler results? Now hailed as “the new normal” across multiple countries–America included–facial fillers are being used to enhance facial symmetry and turn back the clock… but how long do they last, and what can you do to keep your results for as long as possible? Later we cover 3 ways to prolong facial filler results.
We’re glad you asked.
Firstly, What Are Facial Fillers?
Dermal filler injections are a type of nonsurgical cosmetic procedure that are used to plump and smooth wrinkles, eradicate lines, restore volume in your face, and improve general facial symmetry in order to look younger. They are injected into select areas of the face by a professional injector.
The main types of dermal injectables are as follows:
- Hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a naturally occurring acid in your skin. It gives your skin volume and keeps it hydrated. With age, your body stops making hyaluronic acid, making this a popular treatment for people ages 30 and over. Results from HA injections usually last six months to one year.
- Calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) is a type of filler that consists of a substance you have in your bones; as such, results from these fillers typically last around one year. Healthcare providers usually use CaHA fillers for deeper wrinkles that are resistant to HA.
- Poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) is a substance that helps your body create its own collagen. Healthcare providers usually use poly-L-lactic acid to smooth deep wrinkles on your face, neck, and even torso. The results can last two years or more.
Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA) fillers are made up of very small “balls” of collagen that stay under your skin after your healthcare provider injects them. The balls give your skin volume and keep it firm.
According to the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery’s Global Survey, 13.6m non-surgical treatments were carried out worldwide in 2019—4.3m of which involved hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, a 15.7% increase on the previous year, and a 50.6% increase since 2015. Those numbers are only climbing by the year.
Who Is a Candidate for Facial Fillers?
You may be a good candidate for dermal fillers if you:
- Are physically healthy
- Don’t smoke
- Have a positive outlook and realistic goals in mind for the improvement of your appearance
- And are committed to maintaining good skin health
Dermal fillers can be used of anyone over the legal age of medical consent and, because of their zero downtime and minimal healing process, are widely recommended to patients of any age and gender.
What is the Process Like For Getting Facial Fillers?
You can get dermal fillers in your healthcare provider’s office or, ideally, at a specialized medical spa. Some people choose to get dermal fillers in a medical spa (also called a medspa or medispa). Your injector will cleanse your skin prior to the procedure and may apply a lotion or cream with an anesthetic to numb any discomfort.
Using a thin needle, your injector injects small amounts of fillers under the surface level of your skin. The needle will pinch, but most patients report not experiencing much discomfort during these injections. Your injector may inject the fillers in several areas, such as around your mouth, under your eyes, into your forehead, or along your jawline. The whole process can take a few minutes or up to an hour.
Post-treatment, you may have bruises, swelling, or discomfort. Usually, these side effects are mild and go away in a few days.
3 Ways to Prolong Facial Filler Results
Dermal fillers are created using naturally occurring enzymes, as listed above. For this reason, they are metabolized by your body over time. The speed of your metabolism will greatly affect how long your treatment results last. In addition, cosmetic fillers tend to last longer in areas with less movement. Frequent movement can cause the material to break down faster and diminish the longevity of your results.
Meaning? In your face, fillers are generally absorbed by your body within six months.
So how can you make your results last longer? Well, we recommend:
- Avoiding Stress: Because stress can accelerate the body’s natural aging process, alleviating stress to the best of your ability will slow the metabolization of your dermal fillers down and, as a result, prolong your results.
- Keep Up With Skin Care: Keeping your skin cleansed, moisturized, and protect from damaging UV rays via sunscreen are all key components of a good skin care routine. By keeping your skin as healthy and nourished as possible, you’ll find your dermal fillers extending their stay.
- Go In For Touch-Ups: Professional injectors will now how to subtly “touch up” your results, which generally cost less than your full initial treatment.
Now you know 3 ways to prolong facial filler results. So, ready for dermal fillers that last? Then book a consultation for dermal fillers with Mirror Med Spa today. We look forward to talking with you!